Monday, March 22, 2010

What's the plural of Summers?

I was always thankful  my last name wasn't one that ended with an "s." That always seemed complicated when it came to making it plural or possessive. 


Now, I'm going to have a last name with an "s."


This has been giving me a headache. How do you make it plural? Or possessive? No matter how you do it, it sounds funny.


The Summersssssss
The Summerses
The Summers'sssss
The Summers'


Do you just say, "Summers" and let it be singular and plural all at the same time?




I don't know. I know what's "proper" but come on, who uses proper English??




I think when it comes time to speak in the plurality, I'll just say, "Marty and Jordan Summers" and when the kids come along (woah, what!?) we can say, "The Summers Family." 

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I like the proper way (i.e. Summers')

This always used to confuse me when I would write Jesus' life, Jesus' ministry. Whatever, you know?

P.S. Y'all are too stinkin' cute and I, like Rachel commented on your previous post, love the pictures used as the header! So cute!! :D

Rachel Cox said...

haha! This post cracks me up.

I am the worst person when it comes to grammar, but I do think Rebekah is right!

Either way, people are going to say it wrong! ha!