Sunday, September 5, 2010

I cooked! I cooked! I cooked!

Okay so I know the title seems a little much. But that's just because this is a HUGE DEAL! Until Tuesday, August 31, 2010 I had never cooked a thing in my life. Seriously. The closest I had ever come to cooking was boiling some spaghetti noodles and warming up sauce. I didn't even know how to brown the meat the right way. Sad. I know. Cooking just isn't something that has ever interested me.

However, I am a very stubborn person and when I make up my mind to do something, there's really no stopping me. I don't know what made me do it, but one day last week I decided I was going to cook. Successfully.

Okay, I'll be honest. My main motive was just to shut everyone up. BUT, I think deep down I also had this desire to be wifely and womanly.

One of my favorite meals growing up was my mom's chicken and rice casserole. She made this at least once every two weeks and I loved it! It's so good and you can make a lot at one time so it's a great thing to keep as left overs for lunch for the next few days. I called mom one day and told her I wanted to make it and asked for directions.

I had no clue how it would turn out. But, to my surprise, it was great!! And so easy! This is definitely something I will be doing more often. It took about an hour total. I'm looking forward to making more easy stuff in the future!

Here are the directions:

1. Put a cup and a half of white rice in a baking pan.
2. Mix together 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of cream of mushroom & chicken mixed and 1 can of water. (My grandma puts cream of celery instead of the mushroom chicken mixed, but I'm not a fan of celery, so I did the other one.)
3. Once mixed, pour the stuff on top of the rice and stir and mix it all together. (I added a little bit of butter here.)
4. Put little nugget sized pieces of boneless, skinless chicken on top.
5. Wrap tightly in foil and put in oven for 30 minutes on 350.
6. After 30 min, take it out and stir. Put back in for 20 minutes covered.
7. Cook for 10 more minutes uncovered.


I have to tell you, though... this meal is NOT complete without at least half a jar of Kosher baby dill pickles.

I cooked up some buttered corn and garlic toast to go with this. Yum.

All the fixins...


Here goes nothin! Let's see how it turns out...
The finished product. SO GOOD!
 
T
The first taste test! ....
And the verdict is....................



Success!!!!




Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you can now cook..:). I'm proud of you!!!

Rachel Cox said...

ha! You are so funny! I actually make that recipe a lot too... it was one that Derek's mom made while he was growing up and it super easy to do! If I am in a hurry I do it on the stove instead of the oven. I prepare the rice in a big pot and then brown my chicken in a pan and then combine. =) Good either way!

So proud of you. Such a good wife! =)