Monday, November 1, 2010

thank-ful

The month of November is often associated with the world thankful.

This is the month that we all try our best to be more aware of the blessings around us and take time to thank God and thank other people for making us smile and providing us with what we need. This is the month that we are extra thankful.

Or are we?

A few years ago I did a lesson with the youth over the idea of the REAL meaning of the word thankful and it's one that God has just stuck in my mind ever since. See, I think we've forgotten our basic grammar when it comes to this word.

Look at it: Thankful.

Now let's dissect it and look at it from a slightly different view:

THANK-FUL

There are two parts to this word: "thank" and "ful". "Ful" is a suffix that, when tagged onto the end of a word, adds the meaning, "full of". Therefore, the word thankful literally means "full of thanks."

Okay, now you're probably thinking, "Duh. I'm not an idiot. I went to school too." You're right. It's not that complicated and most of us know, or at one time knew, the actual, grammatical meaning of that word. I don't question our knowledge about the word, I just can't help but question if we're using it right.

Think about it.

How many times do we say we are "full of thanks" when really we should say more along the lines of we "have SOME thanks in our hearts"?

This might sound WAY out there or you just may not really be clicking with me right now. If so, that's ok. This is for me and something God has REALLY used to open my eyes to what it truly means to be thankful. Ever since I had this epiphany I've tried REALLY hard to really be someone FULL of thanks. However, life clouds my view sometimes and I'm not always as full as I'd like to be.

So for this month of November, I'm REALLY jumping on this challenge for myself. I have a marker board in my office that I write a bible verse or quote on every day to challenge me and and keep my focus right. Along with that verse, I'm going to fill that board up, every day, with things I am thankful for. Some big, broad, obvious things... but also some little, everyday things that often get overlooked. And then I'm going to blog about it.

So my blog, for the month of November, is dedicated to things I am "FULL of thanks" for!

Today's is rather simple: Encouragement.

I am so thankful for encouragement! I'm thankful that we have the ability to encourage. I'm thankful that there are people in my life who encourage me. I'm thankful for the friends who DAILY encourage me and the random people who send me just the encouragement I need at just the right point in my life. I'm thankful for encouragement that comes from watching other people. I'm thankful for the command to encourage one another.

But mostly, I'm thankful for the encouragement that comes straight from the Lord. The Scripture that just resonates in my heart and makes me feel as if the Lord wrote those words just for me. The Words that just breathe life into my soul when it's worn out. The mercy that restores me when I feel like I've just screwed it all up. The grace that refreshes me when I just need newness.

I'm thank-ful. So full of thanks for encouragement.



Photobucket

No comments: