Sunday, December 12, 2010

i'm back from Bethlehem

My last post was Wednesday morning. Bethlehem Revisited began Wednesday evening and this year I got the privlege of being the point person for it. Needless to say, I haven't even thought about blogging the past few days.

If you don't know what Bethlehem Revisited is, that means you  missed out. But don't worry-- it'll be here next year! It's a FREE event that our church puts on every year. I don't want to call it a live nativity because it's so much  more than that. We literally build a mini town full of shops, firepits, a huge well, a synagogue, an inn, animal stables, a manger out back, and much more. The town is filled with just under 30 shops ranging from a candle shop where you literally go and make your own candles, to candy shops, to story telling, to brick making, to fish and tannery, and everything else in between. When you first enter the town you are given some shekels which you use to buy and barter things in the shops. When you've had enough of the town you exit through the inn and the innkeeper directs to the manger scene. Here you a real live baby and mom and dad in a manger and someone is there to present the Christmas story. After that you go back inside for some cookies and hot cocoa! I know that sounds really simplified. It's a lot more than that. But there's my simple explanation!

This year was a great success! We had a ton of people, lots of fun, and TONS of smiles!

My favorite part of Bethlehem is seeing all the kids SO HAPPY that they got to see baby Jesus! They know it's not REALLY baby Jesus, but something about just getting to get a tiny glimpse of what it could have been like the night Jesus was born is so intriguing to these children. Shoot, it's intriguing to all of us!

Here's an example of one of the shops:


The music shop:



Baskets:


Oh, and did I mention we have live animals? LOTS OF THEM!


And a couple thousand cookies. :)



I didn't get to take any pics this year (I actually stole these from Toya!) because I was busy running around, but I did snap one with my phone and it's possibly one of my favorite pics ever.



These boys have a very special place in my heart. I would seriously adopt all three if I could. Friday night I asked them to help us and they did FAN-TASTIC! They were tax collectors and went around to all the shops and picked up the shekles people had paid the shop owners and returned the money to the money keeper. I was so proud of them for acting right and helping out so well. I felt like a proud momma!


I'm finally caught up on my sleep and ready for a brand new week! More interesting blogs to come!

Photobucket

No comments: