Tuesday, December 14, 2010

my bible needs your help...

If you asked me what my most prized possession in my life is, I'd tell you this. My bible. Not because that's what I'm supposed to say, but because I mean it. This really, truly is my absolute favorite thing I own. My bible is so very special to me and I'd give the fight of my life if anyone tried to take it away from me. It was given to me on Christmas day, 2000 from my parents. I was in the 7th grade and had just started the youth group and thought it was time to get a real, grown-up bible. It's the Zondervan Life Application Study Bible. And I love it. 

I don't know if you agree with writing in your bible or not, but I'm just going to tell you right now, I absolutely love writing in my bible. I think that's one of the reasons why it's so special to me. It has literally been with me through every single day for the last 10 years. I have underlined, highlighted, circled, starred, boxed, arrowed thousands of verses that have spoken straight to my heart. I have journaled prayers and thoughts that particular Scripture brought to mind. 

If you thumb through the pages of my bible, you'll find marks of many journeys I've been on in the last 10 years. You'll see verses that got me through drama in middle school and high school. You'll see prayers I prayed for a good attitude and to work my hardest in soccer. You'll see my journey through the valley after losing my dad and the Scriptures and prayers that strengthened me through that. You'll see things like, "Fathers Day 2007" next to verses that God used to comfort my heart on that very hard day. You'll see where I prayed for guidance on making a college decision. And in another place you'll see my search for a degree and career path. You'll see where I really knew God was speaking to my heart to serve in ministry. You'll see where I prayed for a Godly husband, and then when I found one. You'll see where I've been praying for my future children. You'll see where I'm so very thankful for my mom. My family. My church. You'll see different verses that have made me think of special friends who are so dear to me, and in some place, notes and prayers friends have left for me. 

For those who understand using your bible in this way, and even those who don't, I'm sure you'll understand when I say that right now I am SO TORN. Why? Because my bible is FALLING. APART. It's 10 years old and, well, just needs some healing. 

The pages are completely separated from the binding now. In fact, a few pages in the very front (with the index of the books and some other reference information) have fallen out and disappeared. That happened about 5 years ago. I have tried EVERYTHING to rebind this thing. Every kind of glue that has ever been recommended, 45 different kinds of tape. It always holds for a little while, but then it always comes back to this. 
At random places throughout the bible, pages are falling out. That's when I rely on my handy hot pink duct tape. It works for those pages. They aren't going anywhere. But it causes the aligning to get off, and then it doesn't shut right. But that's ok. They're in there. I can still read them. 

 The scariest part, to me, is that the front cover is about to fall off. This picture doesn't do a lot of justice but the bottom and top corners are completely ripped through. The entire side is tearing, but there are places where it's barely hanging on. I have duct tape on the inside of it to kind of reenforce it, but it's weak.










So here's my dilemma. To get a new bible or not? Everything in me screams NO. STINKIN. WAY. I have always said I will not ever get a new bible. I have told Marty at least 20 times not to ever buy me a new bible. I love my bible. It has my entire life in it, or at least my entire life since I was 12. I would love to use this one bible for the rest of my life and let it be one lifelong journey and testimony to what God has spoken to me and done for me. I could just get it rebound and some pages fixed. I know.

Or I could get a new one. I am at the 10 year mark. I could start a new bible every 10 years. That would still be a lifelong "journal"... just put them together! It could be really neat to compare them at the end of my life and see how my thinking and prayers changed with every decade. But still... my bible. My precious bible. I know I wouldn't be getting rid of it. But the thought of not using THIS one every day makes me sad! I don't idolize it. I just cherish it. Very, very much.

Anyway. I'm torn. So torn. I have no idea what to do. I know that sounds so weird. Maybe it is. But dang... I love my bible!

So what about you? Do you get a new bible ever so often? Have you used the same one forever? What do you think I should do? Seriously-- I need some counsel.




Photobucket

8 comments:

Morgan Paige said...

i totally understand. my young life leader & i made our bibles together a few years back & it is so special to me & i cant imagine ever buying a different one. im wondering for yours if you could get it rebound somewhere?

Christina Anderson said...

Jordan - do I ever remember being at this Crossroad! I had a bible through college that had stickers on the outside, all different colors of ink on the inside, and markings of all sort from front cover to back! It started to come apart and my heart broke. I did move on to a new bible - but I still have the "college" bible on a shelf in my bedroom. I found myself often referring back to it after I had my new one. I would set down to look up something in the new, and have trouble finding it for some reason. If the reference slipped my mind - I would just grab "ole' faithful" and it seemed as though the pages opened right up to what I was looking for!!! I transferred some of the markings in my old to my new! God had done so much in my life in those years and I didn't want to leave them all behind --- I wanted to see them written in a well! Isn't it a silly feeling sometimes for it to be so hard to let go of a bible when there are hundreds of others to choose from? I do enjoy having another now though - it will be hard to leave this one also when the time comes!!! :) Different chapters of life are marked with each bible for me now though & I love that --- I look at the "college bible" and remember, I am currently carrying the "new wife and new mother bible " marked with my most recent journey's and life lessons (I have had it for several years now), and I wonder what season of life the next bible will mark!!! Enjoy the transition, look at that bible and praise God for the journey's He's brought you through, beg Him to continue to with you where you are at right now and continue to journal, and trust in Him with where you are yet to go. I see this transition of our bibles resting on our shelves like they are a "memorial stone" !!! Joshua 4:1-7 - pick up that ole bible & read that passage, I find it interesting they were crossing the "Jordan" !!! The bible won't be gone - it will just serve another purpose!!!!

Anonymous said...

This touches so many parts of my heart. I love to see a well worn bible. I want the same kind of passion for the word of God that you have. After all is a ALIVE. It's coming, I know it is. Buy a new bible. You would feel terrible if one of the pages were lost by accident.

Jordan Morgan Summers said...

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you understand how tough this is! Christina, you're right... I love the milestone markers that are mentioned through the OT. I know this can serve as one of those.

Haley said...

I had my bible for 10 years too. I just got a new one last Christmas. At first I didn't like it because I didn't have all the special verses marked and I could not find certain things. But a year later, I love my new bible. I love finding new things and rediscovering other things. I also got a different translation this time to let me get a different perspective. I still go back and grab my old bible for reference sometimes. Your new bible could hold the next chapter of life :) good luck with your decision!

Anonymous said...

Jordan, Have you ever thought of getting your bible professionally rebinded? I did a quick search and this is a website that does it

http://www.preservetheword.com/

Even if you don't want to send it off it might be a wonderful gift to give yourself (or for Marty to give you) to have each page laminated/photo copied and put into a new binder so you can always have your first adult bible with you. Even if you do get a new bible I think it would be a special way to preserve all the special moments this bible has provided you with.

Just an idea! Hope you're doing great, i love reading your posts!

Lindsey Ludford

HaleeBurch said...

Keep the Bible, it is special, maybe even continue to use it in daily study, but it might also be a good idea to get a new Bible to carry out to church and bible studies, so you don't worry about losing pages and such. There is a very pretty pink esv bible http://www.inspire4less.com/christian/bibles/version/english-standard/deluxe-compact-bible-esv-crossway-bibles/9781433501944/product-details?pID=148858 that might be nice. And you could put your new name on your new bible, or get a nice family bible? http://www.inspire4less.com/christian/bibles/version/english-standard/journaling-bible-esv-strap-flap-crossway-bibles/9781581349658/product-details?pID=136183

http://www.inspire4less.com/product_details.php?pID=134445

a pink journaling bible! http://www.inspire4less.com/product_details.php?pID=136152

Anonymous said...

J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

- Daniel