Tuesday, December 7, 2010

stool or chair?

I am a sleeper. I have to have my full 7-8 hours of sleep every single night or else I am just not up to par the next day. 10:30 is my normal bed time, but 11-11:30 is my normal fall asleep time. I have so much trouble falling asleep! No matter how tired I am, my brain just doesn't shut off. My husband doesn't understand this because he could literally lay down on some rocks, fall asleep in about 30 seconds, and wouldn't wake up if you punched him in the face.

Makes me so mad!

I wish I could do that.

But I can't.

Instead, I lay there. Thinking. About the most RANDOM things in the entire world. About a month ago it was carrots. Carrots! I could not go to sleep because I kept thinking about who in the world first discovered you could eat those long orange things that grow in the ground??? I mean, how did they get discovered? And eaten? And what about potatoes? This is what I do. And I sit there and try to figure all this out in my head, and I can't go to sleep if there is a problem left unsolved. So usually this involves me googling carrots, or potatoes, or where lady bug spots come from at 11:00. If you looked at the past google searches on my phone you'd probably think I was crazy.

Well, last night was no exception. I was TIRED. I was fighting to keep myself awake until 10:30 because Marty makes fun of me and calls me lame if I go to bed before 10:30. But as soon as 10:30 came, I had no shame in crawling in bed. And I did. I got my blankets, my glass of water, said my good night, closed my eyes....

And then it hit me-- what draws the line between something being a stool, and a chair?

I mean I know what a stool is. Trust me, when you're my height, stools become your very best friends. But I googled it anyway. And this was the first definition I got:


the fecal matter evacuated at each movement of the bowels.

Okay! Not exactly what I was going for! (Sorry if that's crude. Just wanted to warn you... if you ever have this same dilemma in your mind... googling stool can catch you off guard.) Next definition, please! 

       a single seat on legs or a pedestal and without arms or back.

Alright, I can accept that. Makes sense. And then here's the next one:

        a short, low support on which to stand, step, kneel, or restthe feet while sitting.

That one makes total sense too. 

So THIS is a stool:

And this is a stool:



Different types of stools, but both are stools. No argument there.

Now to chairs. Here is the definition I found for chair:
a seat, esp. for one person, usually having four legs forsupport and a rest for the back and often having rests forthe arms.

Okay, I can accept that one, too. It's a seat with a back. Sometimes with armrests. 
This is a chair:

But then, I thought about my house and the different stools and chairs I have and I thought about my dining room table. 


Those are the chairs I have at my dining room table. Or are they stools? They're often called bar stools, but they have a back support. So does that make it a bar chair? Or a high chair? Or a tall chair? Or does it make a stool with a back support? Is it a chair... or a stool? 

Maybe it's one of those "a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square" things. Maybe a chair is a stool, but a stool is not a chair. Or maybe that doesn't work.

MAYBE IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER!! 

Have I wasted your time? I apologize. This is how my time is wasted every night. For a good hour when I could be soundly sleeping, I'm thinking about chairs. Or stools. Or chairstools. Or whatever the heck they are! 



Photobucket

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

I think your set is what's known as pub chairs. So definitely a chair.

Chairs have backs, stools don't. That's a way to simplify. No matter their height. If it has a back, it's a chair.

HaleeBurch said...

I'm really glad that I stumbled on to your blog, I really enjoy how your mind works, although I do feel sad for not being able to sleep, that really sucks. Have you tried listening to the tv, or podcasts of sermons? Ok so that sounds really awful! But yeah I love going to bed to sermons, or I use to listen to the Albert Mohler program every night, but they stopped airing it. Maybe they still have old podcasts available. You should try it. :D