Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Remember This Moment.

I'm a very reflective person. I almost enjoy those great moments in life more after they have happened than when I am actually in the moment. I love to just take everything in, embrace it, and then reflect on exactly what just happened.

I think I'll spend the rest of my life reflecting on what happened yesterday.

Yesterday was my first ultrasound. I wasn't even sure if my doc was going to do an ultrasound because so far everything is great and I'm still really early... but I was so excited when she said she was going to.

When she first began the ultrasound, all I could think was STOP PUSHING ON MY BLADDER! I had to go in there with a full bladder because supposedly it helps see things better. She just kept pushing and I just kept clinching. But then, something amazing happened. Dr. Holland and mom both started ooohing and awwwing. Doc was like, "There's the heartbeat! And see the little arms and legs?" And mom was like, "Oh my goodness! Awww... there's my grandbaby!"

But I was like, "What in the WORLD are yall looking at??"

I knew this was a special moment so I was trying really really hard to see it and say aww too, but I was so lost. I felt like I was looking at tiny TV with really bad antennas. I couldn't see it!

So my doc zoomed in and pointed at exactly what I was supposed to be looking at. And that's when my heart stopped.

I saw my baby's heart fluttering. Over. And over. And over. I saw the little tiny arms and legs waving at me. I saw the kid moving like crazy! (An athlete in training.)

I saw life.


And I was amazed.

I didn't really have anything to say at the time. Marty said, "Really???" and I said, "Wow. That's cool." Nothing better could come out. I was too busy trying to get my million thoughts together.

Do you ever have those times where you can just hear God's whisper in your heart saying, "Child, remember this moment."?? I do.

Like the moment I saw my very first car and my parents standing there with huge smiles. Or the moment I received an honorable award in soccer. The moment I walked across the stage and shook the president's hand to receive my college degree. The moment I stood hugging one of my very best friends for the last time in years as she moved to the other side of the world. The moment I said, "I do." The moment at Christmas when everyone is smiling and laughing. Those defining moments in life... when you know that you're treasuring it now, but you will treasure it even more in your memories. The moments you know you need to hold on to and thank God for every day of your life.

This was one of those moments. The moment I saw the life in my kid. With my husband and my mom by my side. God whispered in my heart, "Child, remember this moment."

I remember. And I will never ever ever forget.

I have to say I'm a proud momma today. I can't help but want to show this kid off to everyone! I think s/he's already the cutest thing in the world. Even though s/he looks kind of like an oversized jelly bean with four little stubby arms and legs poking out.

I have him/her proudly displayed on my filing cabinet in my office, just so I can stare all day.




Photobucket

4 comments:

'The H Family' said...

So, so sweet Jordan!! The amazing thing is that 'moment' happens with each and every child. I have yet to see the first ultrasound of each child without majorly tearing up! Enjoy these amazing moments...you are too sweet!!

Jessica's Journey said...

Awesome! That first time is great, but really it is great everytime I go!

Heather said...

I love how you described it. It was impossible for me to read this and not re-live my "moments" with both of my sweet babies! Praising God for your little cutie!!!

Marissa said...

I love the little arms and legs! So cute and tiny! How awesome!!