Friday, January 14, 2011

Today... I Grow Up.

Today is a day for the books. It's a milestone. A turning point. A day to remember.

Today is the day I begin my journey of Financial Education.

I know that probably sounds silly but here's the deal... I don't know ANYthing about finances. All I know is I save EVERYTHING and absolutely HATE spending money. On anything. But not really because I want to be wise. Mostly because I'm scared to death of money. And I'm mostly scared to death of it because I don't understand it.

So today... I'm changing that.

**Disclaimer... I didn't have a SINGLE class in high school OR college that told me anything, whatsoever, about money, economics, financial planning, etc. Nothing. I never had any reason to. It wasn't on my "degree track" and using my free elective hours on FINANCE??? No. Way. Now, I wish I would have.

But, let me say, I think at least ONE basic foundations class in finance should be a requirement in both high school and college. At least in college. Our classes train us to be good at our careers and prepare us for making money... but then when we start making it... we have no idea what to do with it. At least, I don't.

I have a retirement fund set up with money going into it from every paycheck, but I have no idea what it looks like, what it is, how much it is. I know that sounds pathetic. But that's the truth. When it's time for those W forms to be filled out, I just sign my name and let our secretary tell me what to put. I have no clue what I'm doing. I save a lot every month, but I don't know if I'm saving the right way. I don't have a clue where I should be putting my money, what I should be investing in, if I should be investing. I  know debt is bad. And I refuse to get into it. Although the way people talk, I'm afraid it's unavoidable. I know I should never spend more than I make. I'd be too scared to anyway.

For a while now I have really been wanting to learn and understand finances so I can control them, instead of letting them control me. So today is the day I am beginning that process.

With help from who else??? Dave Ramsey.

I'm starting this study:
It's the Home School edition of Foundations in Personal Finance. And yes, it's for high school students. I don't care. I figure I need to understand the basics before I try to grasp the complex. And I WILL grasp the complex. I am determined. 

I will be both the student AND the teacher for this study. But trust me, I'll be a tough teacher. No slack for this student. :) And once I get it, I'll be teaching my husband. And we WILL be teaching our children.

Once I finish this study I'll move on to the next... taking it one step at a time. I've already bought a few of his other books that I'll be reading as well. 

I'm excited to start this and so thankful for the chance to start it NOW... at the very beginning of our marriage/parenthood/life together. Before we have time to make too much damage. 


Photobucket

3 comments:

Kati @ "along for the ryde..." said...

I think this is a great idea! I cant wait to hear how it goes! At OBU we had to take personal finance & it seemed so dumb back then but now I wish I still had my textbook! Ha!

JAustin said...

Jordan.. You are truly amazing !!! Here I am at 63 and never had a class on finances and sure could have used it along the way. I needed to save more for these GOLDEN years ahead. I so much enjoy reading your blogs.

HaleeBurch said...

I just wish someone would explain to me why geometry is required and not finance. Tell me how you like this study, if you like it I will want to invest myself. Not that I will have the time to add another class to my schedule for the next 3 months. lol