Monday, January 3, 2011

Well... we're pregnant!!!!!!!!

I have been very quiet on all social media for the past few weeks because I've been about to BUST wanting to share the big news!!! Here's what I wrote a couple weeks ago:

[Written Monday, December 20]

Wow. I can't believe what I am saying. I am in shock. I am overwhelmed. I am humbled. I am amazed. I am overjoyed. I am scared to death. Wow.

Marty and I got married on July 31, 2010. Five months ago. Our "plan" was to wait about 3 years before we started trying to have kids. That way, we'd still be pretty young, but we'd also have enough time to just enjoy and get used to being married. There were trips we wanted to take, things we wanted to do before we got "tied down" (what horrible words!) with kids. Again, that was our tentative plan, but at the same time we were both very open to just living whatever life God laid out for us.

Well, I'm glad we were open. Because only a month after we were married we found out that our plans were about to change.

I have been dealing with some, um, "female" issues for the last few years and in late August and early September I went back to the doctor a few times to finally get it figured out. This time my doctor (girl doctor) FINALLY gave me a diagnosis and scheduled a surgery for mid October.

I'll spare you details, but basically in that surgery she found a number of problems. She was able to "fix" some stuff in that procedure, but it's a temporary fix. She said within a year the same issues would be back and we'd be right back where we started. Over time, these issues would get worse. So a week after the surgery I went back for a check-up and she explained the situation a lot more clearly.

She told us that we pretty much had a 6-8 month window in which we would be able to get pregnant. It wouldn't be impossible after that time, but it would be a lot more difficult. She said if we were sure that we wanted kids, we needed to start trying immediately.

This kind of rocked us a little bit. I mean, not that we weren't wanting kids. By all means, BOTH of us have been so looking forward to the day we became parents. We just figured that would be quite a while from now. I guess for a few weeks we just kind of let the information soak in and didn't talk a whole lot about it. Then, we finally sat down and looked at what we were really dealing with. We knew that if we chose to wait, we could be really jeopardizing our chances to have kids at all. It wasn't the timing we were really hoping for, but we knew that we wanted to be a mommy and daddy so bad. So we talked about it, prayed about it, and finally agreed we would just kind of go with it and see what happens.

We knew that with our situation we could be starting on a very long, emotional journey. We weren't sure if we'd get pregnant right off the bat, or if we'd be able to get pregnant at all. My doc had no idea what to expect, and neither did we. We just kind of said if God wants us to be parents now, we'll be parents.

And, I guess he did. Because the very first time we tried, we got pregnant. I wouldn't even say we tried. More like, we just didn't NOT try. You know what I'm saying? Yeah.

For the first couple of weeks, I knew. You can ask Marty... I knew. I told him, "Marty... I think I'm pregnant." I'd been feeling dizzy and having some HOT flashes and headaches. And OH. MY. WORD. I have never been so sleepy and exhausted in all my life! But with my health issues, this has been pretty common in the past. So I think he thought I just wasn't feeling well. He kept rolling his eyes and almost getting frustrated with me. He didn't want me to say that I'm pregnant because he knew how bad I wanted to have kids and he didn't want me getting my hopes up until we knew for sure. But I knew. I even told a couple of very close friends. It was too soon at that point to take a test, but in my heart and in my mind, I had no doubt.

I waited and waited and waited and WAITED for the day to come when I could finally take a test. FIIIIIINALLY on Monday, December 20, 2010 I took the test. I actually forgot to when I "urinated" first thing that morning. So after that I began drinking TONS of water just so I would have to pee again. Sure enough, I did. And sure enough, a big, "YES+" appeared on that thing!! At first, I just looked at it and said, "I knew it!" and then went back to blowdrying my hair. But then it hit me. I. AM. A. MOTHER!!! And THEN I had my little freak-out moment. Not bad freak out. Just, freak out.

I started breathing heavy. I think I cried. I just had a little moment with myself. Then I prayed. I said, "Thank you, Lord. Thank you. Oh my. Thank you."

And then I called Marty in there. He was getting ready for work and I said, "Hey Marty can you come here real quick and tell me what this means?" He didn't even know I was taking the test. I didn't want him lecturing me about getting my hopes up. So he came in there and I showed it to him and he looked at for a minute, then looked at it again, then said, "Are you serious!?!? Seriously??? For real???"



It was great.

I didn't know what to do so I just went back to blowdrying my hair and he went back to getting ready. Then about a minute later he came back in there and just hugged me. And of course that's when I said, "I told you so!" :)

This is truly a miracle and we are SO EXCITED!!!

I have gone back and forth on whether or not to make this a public thing. I know that it's still VERY early (we are only six weeks pregnant) and there are a lot of things that can happen. Many people told me not to announce it for quite a while, but I just can't keep this in. I have to share life with people.

The way I see it, this is 100% in the Lord's hands. And it's already such a miracle. I am a mom. Whatever is going to happen, He will provide and sustain. I want to be transparent and open about the entire journey. If things don't go the way I would want them to go, then I hope I can look back and see where He carried me, taught me, and shaped me. And I hope someone else can be encouraged along the way.

Please be praying for us as we begin this journey! I am already head-over-heels in love with this kid!!!!


Photobucket

6 comments:

Jessica's Journey said...

CONGRATS! So excited!

Jordan said...

Congratulations!! :-)

Joanna Allen said...

SO VERY EXCITED FOR YOU!! Your life will never be the same. Obviously, God has his hand on the whole situation and I can't wait to see what He has in store for this new little life! Praying for all 3 of you!!

Heather said...

This made me cry. God is just so good, so sovereign and so faithful, even when we are unsure of what exactly we want. He knows. His plan is always "Plan A." I love it. I love Him. This just reminds me how much I'm thankful and overwhelmed by God and His love for us, His kids. He is head-over-heels in love with us!!
I am so happy for you, Jordan. You will be a wonderful mother. CONGRATULATIONS!! Praying for you and your sweet baby!

HaleeBurch said...

Congratulations Jordan, I am happy for you!
I have been making new lessons for my clients from this material, http://parenting-ed.org/parent-handouts-sec2.asp

I think its really good, and has been interesting for me to read, you might enjoy it too. Let me know if I can help you with anything. :D

Christina Anderson said...

God is forming this child for His glory! He's chosen you to be the mother of this child for his or her life on Earth. That's an awesome responsibility, but it's also an awesome blessing!!! Congratulations!!!