Monday, March 21, 2011

Widows


I have always had a big place in my heart for widows. I think there's just something about the idea of a woman who has spent approximately 50 years of her life next to a man, suddenly living life without him, that just breaks me. I know not all widows are old, not all widows have been married for 50 years, etc. But I think it would be safe to say that most widows in our churches fit this category.

Our church is unique in that it is filled with lots of young families and is very youthful, but we still have a very large population of "old folks." I love that. Over the last few years I've really begun to love and admire these old folks and look for any opportunity I can to spend a little time with them and learn from them.

I've been taking the college girls through James 1 in our bible study and a few weeks ago I just got so convicted.

Verse 22 says this: Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.


And then just a few verses later, the very last verse of this powerful chapter, we read: Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

As I read and studied that one day I just thought to myself, like I have many times, WHY aren't we doing more of this? Why is it that as churches, we can read Scripture so clearly and see without a doubt that God has a very special commandment for us toward orphans and widows, yet have very little action taken to live up to those commandments?

I felt that as the leader of these girls, I had a responsibility to lead them to be doers of this, even if it was just in a very small way.

For our bible study time last Thursday, we met at the home of one of the widows in our church. We met an hour earlier than normal and served them dinner. The girls all came together to prepare lasagna, corn, salad, rolls, deserts, and drinks. We invited a small group of widows and served them dinner, ate with them, then we had our bible study time with them.

It was such a blessing to see them enjoy themselves, and to hear their insight in what we were studying. At the end of the night they kept telling me how blessed they were to be part of that, but I tried to assure them WE were the ones receiving the blessing.

I pray to keep this fellowship up with these ladies and hope we can serve them and meet their needs in even bigger ways.


I forgot to take a picture before everyone left, so not all are included in this, but this was the majority of our group!




Photobucket

No comments: